It’s no longer okay to share security credentials by email.
There, you have it. A line in the sand.
Even if you go the extra distance: to send the UserID in one message and the Password in another, nope.
Here is a tool I recommend: www.PassPack.com
Some excellent ingredients here…
- Very secure
- Available to you where ever there is a web browser
- Ability to share records with other users
- Ability to securely message other users
And a couple of words about how to use credentials
- Don’t use the same credentials across multiple sites
- Do use Chrome and iCloud services to “remember” credentials (it’s pretty secure)
- Do use non-personally identifiable strings — no pet names, no nicknames, no cities, schools or other stuff like that
- Do use upper & lower case, numbers and punctuation
- A minimum of 10 characters
And change your passwords — I would recommend every 6th time you visit a third-party site … it’s easy, and in a moment you can change the password, update your storage tool and relax.
I don’t change passwords that frequently on sites I own and manage. In these circumstances I alter the credential strings perhaps every 6 months.